Saturday 5 November 2011

The past

Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the past so much that it consumes and leaves no room for development and progression.  It is a cliché; however, the past belongs in the past.  I seem to find myself locked in the past. No matter how much I regret and sorrow I feel will not change things.  I know it was decreed for me by the most High, Allah; however, this only gives me comfort regarding things I had no control of.  However, choices I made and the lack of actions from my side is something I can’t seem to put it behind me. So much regret yet one would think I have learnt not to make the same mistakes.
I cannot keep shifting the blame on others now that I am adult. The choices I make now are no one’s but mine. The past is supposed to make one stronger and determined not to leave one so caught up it is hard to see past the past.
I hope that this year I truly grow up and concentrate on the present.

2 comments:

  1. I felt i should say a few words since you took time to comment on my blog and also at the fact that thinking or being stuck in the past is something i had trouble with, only recently overcoming it.

    I constantly had that voice or waswasa in my head reminding me of hurtful things which had happened, lost opportunities or mistakes on my part. My mind became saturated with these thoughts to the point i felt that what happened in the past had to happen in the future due to a weakness or inability on my part.

    One day i decided to totally ignore every thought, not replace the thought but ignore then focus on something else and with days living in the past was over, its the thoughts that remind people of the past so that is the point of action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazaaka Allahu khayr for that. Thank you for commenting, I quite agree with what you wrote.

    After I conversed with Aunt I realised the reason why I was 'stuck' in the past so to speak is that I talk about it thus always renewing it. Talking about the problems which are in the past that can never be changed isn't always the way to let go. Talking about it won't lessen the pain. With that said I decided to let go and stop talking about the past unnecessarily.

    ReplyDelete